Tuesday, June 8, 2010

AudioBooks
I have always loved books my dad use to read me stories every night, but I have a hard time reading and remembering what i have read. it seemed strange that i loved books but could never seem to read with ease or retain a large amount of what I read. If I was read to or heard it aloud I would not only be able to remember better but i was able to visualize the story much better, that was my first introduction to the world of audiobooks.
Again i love stories and enjoy learning new and interesting things. i would go to the library all the time and spend hours looking through the list of audiobooks they had to rent. But i soon found it was hard to find an unabridged version of the books and most of the ones I really wanted didn’t even seem to have one. it wasn’t until the mid 90s when a turn was made. one of the most sold and well received audiobooks was Harry Potter and it started more and more authors to allow the books to be performed on audio, for you could not just hire anyone to read a story they had to be able to not only do a full cast of personalities but had to be able to do it in a way to have the listener drawn into the story.
As i listened to books i tried, if i had it, to read along with the audio and my reading was greatly improved. i now have a little girl of my own and my wife and i try to never miss a night of storytelling, but i also try to get her to listen to audiobooks instead of watching TV. She has advanced a long way in just a short time while listening and reading along

1 comment:

  1. As I mentioned to you yesterday. I think that your introduction is pretty effective at getting into the topic. I would write your body paragraphs so they go problem-solution, problem-solution, problem-solution and then have a short invitation conclusion wherein you invite your audience to revisit audiobooks as an entertaining medium.

    ReplyDelete